Approved Absence from School
Examples of when a child of compulsory school age can, and cannot take authorised time out from school during term time (The schools’ published dates)
Approved education activity
Time out of school to take part in:
- Sporting activity
- Educational visits
- Work experience
- Courses in other establishments
is recorded as the child being present, even though the pupil is not physically on the school premises.
Absence will be authorised for:
- Unavoidable medical/dental appointments
- Days of religious observance
- Exceptional family circumstances
Whenever possible, please make medical/dental appointments outside of school hours.
Absence will not be authorised for:
- Looking after family members
- Minding the house
- Birthdays or similar events
- Any work (paid or unpaid) undertaken in school hours
- Family holidays unless there are “exceptional circumstances”
The law says that parents do not have the right to take their child out of school for holidays during term time.
In exceptional circumstances, however, schools can allow parents to take their child out of class for an agreed reason.
We are bound by the Essex Code of Conduct on Penalty Notices
The school may also decide to take the child off roll unless there is a good reason for the continued absence, such as illness. In these circumstances the parent must tell the school about the reason for the continued absence as soon as possible.
When deciding whether to allow term time leave, consideration is given to:
- Any reasons given as to why the holiday is important and can only happen in school time
- The child’s age
- The time and duration of leave
- The child’s record of attendance
- The child’s ability
- Previous term time leave
What you should consider
There are times during a school year when a child may experience particular problems because of term time leave such as:
- Close to exams or tests.
- During GCSE and other examination courses.
- During the first year at a new school.
- At the beginning of a new school term.
If the school refuses a request for term time leave and the child is still taken out of school, this will be recorded as unauthorised absence and noted in the child’s record.
Requesting leave of absence
If you wish to ask for permission to take your child out of school for a an activity not covered by those listed as approved then please complete the Approved Absence permission form. This needs to be completed and returned, giving at least 2 weeks’ notice.
Monday through to Friday 8-45am to 3-35pm over 180 published sessions.